Part of the fun in shopping the local farmers markets is creating new recipes with locally grown goodies. We’ve put together some fresh summer recipes with foods you can buy at the local Liberty farmers markets to help mix up your routine! From May to October visit the Historic Downtown Liberty Farmers Market in Downtown Liberty on Saturdays from 7 a.m. to noon or the Liberty Farmers Market at Feldman’s on Wednesdays from 7 a.m to noon.
Fresh Summer Salsa
Many of these items are available from various vendors at both markets! This recipe was suggested by Summer's Produce and Flowers LLC at the Historic Downtown Liberty Farmers Market.
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 mango, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- ½ cup minced fresh cilantro
- ½ cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Baked tortilla scoops
Directions: In a large bowl, combine the first 12 ingredients. Chill until serving. Serve with tortilla chips.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened room temperature
- ? cup honey (check out Mr. T’s Bees at both the Historic Downtown Liberty Farmers Market AND Liberty Farmers Market)
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- ¼-½ teaspoon salt
Directions: In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter for 1 minute on medium speed until completely smooth and creamy. Beat in the remaining ingredients starting with only ¼ teaspoon of salt. Beat on medium speed until completely smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Taste. Add more salt (up to ¼ teaspoon) if desired. Serve with a drizzle of honey and/or a sprinkle of sea salt. Cover leftovers.
Farm fresh mint really sets this recipe apart from any other mojito!
- 1 ounce of simple syrup
- 6 or more leaves of fresh mint (check out The Quite Contrary Garden at the Historic Downtown Liberty Farmers Market)
- 1 ounce of lime juice
- 2 ounces of white rum
- Soda water
Directions: Lightly muddle the mint in the bottom of a cocktail shaker until aromatic. Add the rum, lime juice, simple syrup, a handful of ice and shake. Strain into a glass filled with ice.
These are just a few of the foods and drinks you can make using fresh produce from the farmers market! Stop by this week to get all of the ingredients needed, and don't be afraid to ask the vendors their favorite recipes–they may leave you with a new dish to try this summer.